Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The truth about Karma (and other traveling blunders)

As some of you know, a lot of Chinese are Buddhists. I learned a valuable lesson about Karma the other day. Karma is the idea that if you do good things, the universe will reward you back with goodness. But the interesting thing is that “good deeds” are in the eye the beholder. I noticed a Buddhist monk in a building I was going into. He stood there and watched me wrestle three kids and stroller through the heavy doors. Maybe he felt he had already done his good deed for the day or maybe he felt that helping the foreigner doesn’t add to ones’ Karma. What ever the reason, it got me to thinking about the things we think are helpful.
Case in point, making huge blunderous assumptions! I was traveling through the Hong Kong airport. As I was ordering my lunch, I noticed that next to me were two Asians arguing with the lady taking their order. They were trying to use Chinese currency (which is not the same as Hong Kong). I felt that with my language ability I could help the situation. So I translated into Chinese that they couldn’t use Chinese currency they had to use Hong Kong currency. Of course, I was very proud of my helpfulness. But, I was met with two blank stares, and the lady informed me that they were Japanese and not Chinese. That’s worse than calling a Southerner a Yankee! So instead of helping the situation, I offended everyone involved. It makes me so thankful that I don’t have to depend on Karma!

No comments: