Wednesday, October 11, 2006

So, you need a tetnus shot to go to the doctor...

We have decided that the time has come to send our children to Chinese kindergarten. This is a huge thing for us because we had always planned to homeschool the kids no matter where we lived. But now we are in a situation where our children can't speak the language, so they can't make friends. So we have found the kindergarten we want to send them to. It's the nicest one I've been to over here. A friend and I went to the school yesterday to settle the terms (not very good, I might add). The kids seem happy and well-behaved, not something I had ever seen at a school here. I was told that I had to get a health check-up for the kids if they were to be admitted. Let the chaos begin!!!

So my friend comes this morning to help me again. I can do a lot of things in Chinese, but not enough to do technical things. We left to go to the doctor about 9:30 and finally got back around 11:00. We get to the hospital, and have a hard time finding out where to go to get the checkup done. People keep telling us to go to the door, really vague directions. We finally find the check-up room. There are really no such thing as a waiting room and exam room...it's all one thing. So there are tons of kids and parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles...I guess who ever can come will. The kids are all screaming. The adults are all pointing at our kids saying how lovely they are. Counting all three of them. We tell the lady at the desk what we need. She writes out several pages of information. Then we take those to another part of the building and pay then we can come back. So the doctor weighs them. They have a free weight scale with a little metal folding chair on it. They have painted the chair green over the nasty rust. Afterwards the doctor check their heart, throat, and for some reason down Elijah's pants. While he's checking Isabella, Elijah is busy playing with the scale chair. Another little girl is also playing there. Elijah accidentally smashed her hand in the evil chair of weight. So I am sure that if she hadn't had her tetnus shot (which I'm sure she had not) she needs one now. Anyway, the rest of our doctor visit went without any major upset (save giving blood!!!) and now I have to go back to collect the results. All of which I will not understand. Oh, the frustrations of being illiterate.

No comments: