Monday, March 22, 2010

Menu Monday

I don't have a long post today, but if all goes well, I should be posting more than once this week!
This week, I'm working on eating more simply. It's easy for me to pick meals that take a couple of hours of preparation. See I LIKE piddling around in the kitchen. But I've been thinking lately, it's ok for me to spend the afternoon cooking once in a while, but perhaps I should come up with some "faster" ideas!
This week we'll be having spaghetti and meatballs, leftover split pea and barley soup with bread, bbq sandwiches with mashed potatoes and green beans, and burritos. On Tuesday nights, Tim heads out to a local English corner, and he usually eats in the stalls near there. I usually either cook fried rice or get noodles from the corner. This week, I'm letting them eat leftovers, and I'm having pesto pasta....I love pesto! Also, we are heading to a birthday party for a couple of our friends. I get to bring eggplant parmesan. So it's starting up to be a busy week.
In thinking about faster ideas, I've been thinking about those who have a cooking day once a month and cook many meals to freeze for the month. I'm wondering if any of you do this and if you do, what kind of things do you cook, beside casseroles, I have a hard time finding a lot of those kinds of things.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I've been thinking about doing this as well. The freezer cooking day, that is. A website I go to, moneysavingmom.com, has a freezer cooking day each month, so you might go there and search for ideas. And I think she links to other people who do it as well. But I'm like you, I can't think of anything besides casseroles to do!

bartiste said...

Meatballs are non-casserole. I have a yummy soup recipe that takes 20 minutes if you have frozen meatballs. You could use them in spaghetti, too. Once a month could also mean making mixes for stuff you often make--pancakes, etc, or making up other powdered seasonings (taco) or the like. My mom also freezes cookie dough in balls and plops a few on a pan for a special treat.