Friday, February 12, 2010

What to do on "One of THOSE days"

We've all had "one of THOSE days." The first day back to school after break. The first day after vacation. When the police call and say that you have to come down and register...again. You go grocery shopping, and they're out of (fill in the blank). We all have these days.
This week, we got back from vacation on Sunday. I was being entirely too ambitious to think that I ought to start back to school on Monday. Add to that the police calling, and the normal 4 store trek to find all the things we use. And finally discovering, the store I usually buy flour at is out. On top of this, while you all are celebrating Valentine's Day, we have Chinese New Year's. It is the biggest holiday of the year. I kept hearing that every store would be closed. Turns out it's only the wet markets, but earlier this week I bought, like a good American, enough groceries to last a couple of weeks. But fresh veggies have to be prepared so that they don't go bad.
Fast forward to tonight. I finally started to feel like I had caught up. Around 4, I looked at my list of meals...sausage and barley soup with bread. The bread was not started and the sausage was not even made. It was NOT happening tonight.
The first thought at this point is, let's go out to eat. With the holiday, it might have been possible, but not likely. Many of you may have felt this way, too, with the economy. Ten years ago everyone just headed to Pizza Hut or Chili's. We are blessed that we have tons of really cheap restaurants, although I think when our gallbladders have to be taken out, we'll pay for it in the end! But tonight, we didn't go out. My great husband said, "I'll cook." I laughed (completely unfairly) because he's not much for following recipes...can do it, just doesn't like to. And it's not like our cabinets are stocked with hamburger helper! But fresh eyes did the trick. He poked his head in the fridge and out he came with dinner. My knight in shining armor!
We don't often keep our fridge or freezer stocked with "one of the THOSE days" meals...Do you all keep things and if you do what are your favorites?

Hopefully next week I will be adding a Thankful Thursday. I'm copying the idea from several other blogs that I've read. I am thankful this week, I want to add, that we waded through all the stuff I mentioned above and it's done and over! Happy Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm afraid this won't help you much but my "It's one of THOSE days" meal would be a bowl of cocoa pebbles! Actually, I'm extremely thankful that my husband cooks most of my meals.

Erica said...

I keep Spaghetti sauce and dried pasta on hand at all times. Also, I keep canned chicken, taco seasoning packet and I keep tortillas in the freezer so they don't go bad. A quick chicken taco is a favorite and takes about 10 minutes to prepare! We'll occasionally do cereal too. but nt often because it seems like they're starving as soon as they're done eating!

Sperdutofamily said...

Ashley, yeah, we can find cocoa pebbles for about $8 a box. And we have the same problem Erica mentions, the kids are hungry right after eating. Spaghetti...that's great, all stuff I can get here easily. Keeping tortillas in the freezer is good idea too. Thanks for the ideas!