Sunday, February 14, 2010

Menu Monday

This week we are still eating up all the vegetables and meats we bought last week. That's great for the budget, though! I'm hoping I can find some blueberries this week. That would really make my week!
Monday
oatmeal with bananas
pb sandwiches for the kids, salads for the adults
Split pea and Barley soup and bread
pineapple
Tuesday
bagels
turkey salad sandwiches
eat out
Wednesday
bagels
pb sandwiches for the kids, salads for the adults
chicken wraps with whole wheat tortillas
watermelon
Thursday
mexican omlettes in whole wheat tortillas
grilled cheese sandwiches
Thai chicken and vegetables
brown rice
mango (can't have Thai without mango)
Friday
whole wheat waffles
noodles with cabbage
jerk chicken
saffron rice
spinach
tropical fruit salad
Saturday
whole wheat pancakes
sandwhiches
sausage and barley soup
bread
apples
Sunday
muffins
eat out
kielbasa and corn hash
strawberries or mandarin oranges
As I was writing this, I was imagining some of the reactions to Monday's meal. Most people the thought of Split Pea and Barley soup conjures up the image of pasty, baby poo looking like food. I happened to try it at one of our favorite restaurants on a trip to HK, California Pizza Kitchen. Despite being a pizza place, they have the BEST salads and soups! Anyway, someone else ordered it and let me try. I was in love! Don't buy the canned stuff, I can't vouch for that. I do know that made with fresh vegetables, chicken both, and quick cooking barley makes all the difference. It will take a while to cook, though. And about kids, at first, they turned their little noses up to it, but now they love it! And speaking of barley, I have not found a better ingredient than barley to put into soups. Both rice and pasta bloated and disintegrate into such a mess. Barley only gets better and is a whole grain! Hope you all have a yummy, delicious week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mexican omelets sound especially tasty to me. Kiss the babies for Nana.

Sperdutofamily said...

Come on over, I'll make you one!