Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Reason for no Menu-Monday

This week, there was no menu Monday. That's because Sunday we learned that Tim "might" be traveling. We live a life of "flexibility" that makes some things hard to plan. So I planned the menu...and then sat on it. And here it is Wednesday, and the menu has already been thrown out the window. We found out this afternoon that he would leave early tomorrow morning. So we decided to splurge (we've done really well on our budget this month!) and had Papa John's. Which, I would like to add, was well deserved after I made duck yesterday.

What a great intro to my horrific story: A Tale of Two Ducks. It is a tragedy. I recently watched Julie and Julia (or is it the other way around?) In the very end she has to de-bone a duck...which I will add is beautiful! I will try it one day...but not anytime soon. I was so inspired! I decided to make roasted duck with apple stuffing. (I know, Mom, I will never make you eat duck!) So off I went to the market. I even took my camera to show you all how said duck originally looked, but once I hit the market, it all went down hill. I knew I would have to buy the largest duck they had. After all, here they are sold with the head and feet...and everything inside! So I tell the first lady selling ducks I want the big one...it weighs about 3 lbs...I'm supposed to have a 4 lb duck. After checking around, and being told that they've never heard of a 4 pound duck, I finally decide to buy two. Once they weigh and I pay, I go about asking them to cut off the head and feet which is met with some confusion. When they find out I don't want the neck either, they just laugh at me. The lady asks me, what are you going to do with the ducks? I tell her roast them, she thinks I'm "lihai" or "clever."

I bring my ducks home and put them in some cold water until I'm ready to get them cleaned up and in the oven. What I did not realize is that the de-feathering process is not very efficient. As I start to clean the ducks, I realize I will NEVER get all the little feather bits out of the skin. So, I tell Tim, don't eat the skin. I will leave out the entire process of cleaning out the ducks...ick will suffice.

So finally they are rather clean.

Then I stuffed them.And baked them.Then we picked all the meat off the bones. Never was such a sad sight to be seen!
For the cup and a half of meat, I actually felt guilty that these birds were killed. I regularly roasted chickens in the US. It would feed our family for one meal and leftovers. I generally had the feeling of, why did they bother to kill this bird...there's nothing there.
Anyway, we will be eating this week and next, but it won't be very interesting. When Tim is gone we eat a lot of pb&j. The kids are already asking about popcorn and cookie night...so much for healthy eating. Hope you all have a great week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LAUGH OUT LOUD! Thank you for not making me eating duck, although I MIGHT try a bite. Kiss the babies for Nana.

Ashley said...

That is hilarious! Thanks for the pictures!