Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Rain in Spain

OK, so I don't really know anything about "The Rain in Spain," except that it is a poem and it was used in "My Fair Lady." But I do know a little about the rain in China. As you might have guessed it rained today, and I feel that it has been a very educational experience. First things, I discovered today that my umbrella leaks. My first question that I asked myself was, "Why is it on a raining day that I find out that my umbrella leaks?" Then it dawned on me: first, unlike most Chinese I do not carry my umbrella with me where ever I go, and second, even if I did, the sun doesn't drip. So I think that would be the dumbest question I have ever asked myself. Of course I wouldn't find out that my umbrella leaks until a rainy day. Second thing I learned was that people here are more polite on rainy days. Not to say that no one stared...that'll never happen. But people stood up for me to sit down on the bus. I was carrying Lydia like always, and while lately people have just been avoiding eye contact, today they made a big show of it. One bus driver actually yelled at one of the guys sitting and told himto get up and let me sit, that doesn't usually happen.
But all this niceness did not stop the constant barrage of advice. Winter blew in on Saturday. Literally, Friday was about 85 degrees and Saturday, after the wind started, 65. So I dressed the kids warmly, sweat pants and sweat shirt. Yet, this was not warm enough. I was told that they were not wearing enough clothes. One little boy had on a shirt, tightly knit woolen sweater, and a sweatshirt...at least that was all that I could see. But one of the teachers, after asking if the kids were cold, said that it was because our health was better than theirs. This is because we eat more beef, she informed me. So to all my friends, here's to your health, have that triple cheeseburger delux today. If someone asks if you are afraid that it will make you fat or clog your arteries, just tell them it is the Chinese way to improve your health...you will have a heart attack, but avoid winter's pesky sniffles!
(This website is not certified to give health advice. Take any and all advice at your own risk. We claim no responsibility for that heart attach if you eat that triple cheeseburger delux! Nor are we responsible for any colds you may happen to catch despite eating the triple cheeseburger delux!)
Have a great day everybody!

No comments: