Sunday, September 10, 2006

Ants in my Pancakes?

We leave today. So last night I decided to be proactive. I made pancakes for this morning. We had eggs that needed to be used up, and I didn't want to open a box of cereal that we wouldn't finish. So I made the kids favorite, M&M pancakes, wrapped them in a plastic bag (not ziploc), and happily went to bed. Proud of my accomplishment of planning ahead, which rarely happens anymore. Now I deal with things after the fact mostly. Which in the end is what happened with the pancakes. Did you know that ants can survive being microwaved? This is a fact that was previously unknown to me. Somehow, even though the pancakes were in a bag all tied up, they got ants in there with the pancakes. I put the pancakes on the plate to heat them up in the dark kitchen (pre-coffee) and nuked them for a minute. When I open the microwave, ants were running all over the place! But having lived in China for over a year, I am now totally unaffected. I just made sure that I had all (or at least most) the ants off and cut them up for the kids. Yes, I know, there goes my mother of the year award. I wasn't counting on it anyway. Then I went back to bag, cleaned the rest of the pancakes off and had breakfast. I figure, in some places they eat chocolate covered ants. If there were still ants on the pancakes, I had M&M's in them so it's about the same.
Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Sperdutofamily said...

That's how you know we have lived in China a long time! We didn't have anything else to eat either. I guess we could've gone out for noodles, but Elijah won't eat it. No one got sick.